Thursday, September 11, 2014

Same walk, different day!

On Tuesday, Gracie and I headed out again to the bike path along the river... just a little later than on Monday. There was no wind, so the water was as smooth as glass... as you can see from the reflection.

 

This one is for you, Susan!  As I was taking a picture of some grasses, I looked down and saw Gracie's shadow!


Lovely piece of driftwood and some late-blooming wild phlox (I believe).


I was happy I actually caught the cruiser in the photo.  He was really scooting along.  The Mohawk River is now the New York State Barge Canal System... Erie Canal followed it originally, but was eventually replaced when there was equipment able to dig a deeper channel in the river.  There is a whole system of locks between the Buffalo area at the far western edge of New York and Cohoes, New York, where the Mohawk flows into the Hudson River.  There are still remnants of the original canal... which was the main route used to transport goods "into the wilderness" for a long time.  It boggles the mind that it was dug entirely by hand!


The bench is a lovely spot to sit a while before heading home.


 I tried to capture the lovely grasses along the path.  


These are especially sweet with the light behind them.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place you have to take your daily walks along the river!

    Thanks so much for stopping by! I've considered painting our fireplace, but I think the black insert would stand out too much. I've found a few tutorials for making a painted wood surround, and I think that would work for me.

    Have a great weekend!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! It looks like a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete