Sunday, February 17, 2013

I've been sewing

Ever since the first week in January, I've been sewing. Sewing clothes for myself mostly. I can't seem to stop, nor do I want to.  I have had a glorious time up in my sewing room with all my incredible fabrics, the sun streaming in the windows and the ideas flowing much faster than I can make them up. The dog and the cats wander in and out to check on me as the day progresses, and I listen to recorded books when I'm doing parts that don't require too much concentration.

I've been wanting some new things in my winter clothes closet.  Things that are little bit different from those found in stores.  Perhaps it's a fabric choice or the style.  I had purchased two pieces of beautiful, double-napped, cotton plaids at the very end of December and wanted tops in styles that are not what you usually find made up in flannel.

My first inspiration was this:

from FLAX, a favorite clothing line of mine. As you can see, it is not a winter garment.

































I took a pattern I had that fits me well, and modified it.  (the pattern I used is Silhouette Patterns #625 Kaitlyn's Blouse)


I made my changes to a copy of the pattern...  changed the shape of the front neckline, shortened the body of the blouse, and added "flounces" to the sleeves and the hem of the body.  I used the Paprika-colored flannel.  Here's the outcome!


It is cozy and soft and cheery.  I have since made the same pattern from a vintage damask tablecloth that had several holes and some stains, but there still were just enough good parts to make the blouse. 

The other flannel is a medium-size black/white/gray Buffalo plaid and I used a commercial Burda pattern, Number 7220, as it was designed!  Another "just right" top!


The office where I work a couple days a week is usually much warmer than I'm comfortable with, so the open necks and loose fit of these tops works perfectly. 















So far (today is February 17) I've completed eleven (that's 11, folks!) garments since January first.  Can't wait to see what the next six weeks produce!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Kathie, you are on a roll!!! What lovely tops. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up in six more weeks!! What an inspiration you are.
    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, thanks for the encouragement. I actually am just starting week three of completely purging my fabric stash, re-organizing, and cleaning the sewing room. I plan to have that part done by the end of today. I am passing along a huge quantity of wonderful fabric that has been "aging" far too long in my closets and storage bins. I have serious amounts of floor space now in the room and stop and peek in every time I pass the door, so that I can grin over the change in there! I have "scheduled" choosing the next sewing project for tomorrow. Wish me luck in completing the tasks I listed for today!

    and thank you, thank you for visiting my baby-blog.

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flannel shirt, great finish on the hem! Just found your blog, enjoying reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. again, Coco, thanks for stopping by. The sewing project burst earlier in the year fizzled out... the revamping of the sewing room took weeks longer than I ever imagined it could, but I'm delighted with the outcome. It's sufficiently organized now that I've even let visitors venture in!

    ReplyDelete